Governors Island Park
2007, New York, USA
In 2006, GIPEC launched an international design competition for the design of the Island’s park and public spaces. The goal of the park and public space design is to create a comprehensive design for 87 acres of open green space.
The West 8 Team’s winning completion entry was founded on a richly layered conceptual approach, responsive to the promise of the Island’s opportunities and the diverse interests of New Yorkers.
They imagined an extraordinary new public park that embraces all New York Harbor, its ecology, its history, its culture, its magnificent beauty. Surrounded by water, steeped in the natural and cultural history of the estuary, Governors Island will re-emerge as the next great "world park": an icon for the city, a beacon in the harbor.
The Park and Public Space Master Plan, lays out the plans for future phases such as Wetland Gardens, Hills, and a Great Promenade.West 8 proposed an extensive and coherent design for this 2nd park for New York.
Since 2007, West 8 has been working to refine the design of the entire project with a first phase of implementation set for completion in fall 2013.
More information about Governors Island: www.govislandpark.com
- The Trust for Governors Island
- Rogers Marvel Architects, Diller, Scofidio + Renfro, Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects, Urban Design +
- Associate Landscape Architect: Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects Lead Civil Engineer: Magnusson Klemencic Associates Local Civil Engineer: AKRF Geotechnical Engineer: Hart Crowser Inc. Signage and Wayfinding: Pentagram Lighting: Tillotson Design Associates MEP Engineer: Dagher Associates Soils Consultant: Pine and Swallow Environmental Irrigation Consultants: Northern Designs Code Consultants: Code Consulting Inc. Cost Estimator: Faithful & Gould Operations and Maintenance: ETM Associates Surveyors of Record: Langan Water Feature Design:Fluidity Design Specification Consultants: Construction Specifications, Inc Archaeological Consultants: Linda Stone, RPA
- Honor Award, ASLA (2012), Award for Excellence in Design, Public Design commission of the City of New York (2012), Award of Merit, New York Chapter of the ASLA (2011)
- Adriaan Geuze, Jamie Maslyn Larson, Alyssa Schwann, Askar Ramazanov, Claire Agre, Claudia Wolsfeld, David Zielnicki, Enrique Ibáñez González, Jerry van Eyck, Joost Koningen, Joris Weijts, Juan Figueroa Calero, Matthew Skjonsberg, Perry Maas, Pieter Hoen, Rachel Laszlo Tait, Rob Koningen, Ronald van Nugteren, Sander Lap, Shachar Zur, Silvia Lupini